Wiseco’s detailed skirt shapes and profiles are very specific to each application. Variable cam programming software developed in house allows Wiseco to produce high-performance shapes unique to only Wiseco. The skirt shape (barrel/cam) is one of the most functional areas on the piston, and provides stability and smooth operation in the cylinder bore. Stability is important for proper ring seal, reduced friction, and quiet operation. Each skirt shape is designed for a specific running clearance, based on coefficient of thermal expansion of the piston alloy. Some forging alloys expand more than casting alloys, but each Wiseco piston is designed with the proper installed clearance to produce the most power, least wear, and best seal at running temperature, for each application. Comparing installed clearances on cast vs forged parts is not indicative of the running clearance at temperature. Wiseco engineers have a strong background in all forms of racing applications, and produce the best shapes and designs in the industry.
Some of our forged pistons offer our new ArmorGlide™ skirt coating, which is the result of testing, development, and benchmarking through Wiseco’s rigorous in-house dyno program. The outcome is the ultimate in skirt coating toughness, lubrication, and bond technology working together to minimize friction, maximize horsepower, and provide improved wear resistance. Not only is ArmorGlide™ a high-tech lubricant that reduces friction, but it also allows the piston to be fitted tighter within the bore allowing a better ring seal and reduced noise from piston rock.
- 2-stroke kits feature our Pro-Lite™ pistons that are CNC machined for optimal cam shape and profile for peak HP and service life.
- Each piston is built from race proven designs that are chosen by the top race teams in all forms of racing including Supercross, Motocross, GNCC, Superbike, and more.
- 4-stroke kits feature a ‘race-ready’ dome finish with smooth edges for improved combustion flow. Horizontal slot-pin oiling reduces friction and provides scuff resistance, along with a pressure seal groove for maximum ring seal.
- 4-stroke race applications feature Wiseco’s ArmorGlide™ skirt coating to provide reduced friction and noise to contribute to increased horsepower.
- Dedicated forgings used for superior strength to weight ratio utilizing aerospace alloy.
- High Performance ring kit and alloy pin included with each piston kit for extended life and sustained power.